Re: club foot

> "The slope of the front face of the hoof exceeds 60 degrees.  Often a
> club-footed hoof has long, upright heels.  This syndrome may be a result
> of contracture of the deep digital flexor tendon that was not addressed
> at birth or that developed as a result of nutritional imbalances or
> trauma."

I've heard the theory that a horse that continually scissors his front legs
with the same foot back while grazing can cause one foot to become clubby.
As it becomes more of a club foot he'll keep it back more thus beginning a
vicious cycle. If you have a long legged foal that is beginning to always
scissor with the same foot back, raising their food a few inches off the
ground so they don't have to scissor to eat may prevent it becoming a
problem. Normally I would always feed at ground level, maybe this would be
an exception.

Anyone else notice this pattern with club footed horses?

Cheryl