Re: Feet

Abby, you said it all when you stated "...in my extremely limited
3-(Morgan) horse experience... Morgans have club feet."    I repeat my
answer,  As a breed,  Like Hell They Do.    With a bit more experience
with Morgans than you, by a factor of at least 10,  I have yet to see a
club-footed Morgan.  Behavior problems?   A few.   Some people make the
mistake of thinking that, since Morgans are not a  warm-blooded breed,
they can be chowsed around and handled roughly.   Not So!
     Check out Nancy Loving's  excellent book,  "Conformation and
Performance,"  page 140, 'Club Foot.'   Under "Description" she says:
"The slope of the front face of the hoof exceeds 60 degrees.  Often a
club-footed hoof has long, upright heels.  This syndrome may be a result
of contracture of the deep digital flexor tendon that was not addressed
at birth or that developed as a result of nutritional imbalances or
trauma."
    NO breed is listed under  the heading "Breeds/Activities Most
Affected."    Instead, she says this:   "Any athletic horse."   Can we
agree to defer to her as THE authority?    Connie

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.