Re: RC: Re: LD and BC

In a message dated 7/5/00 2:42:53 PM Pacific Daylight Time, SandyDSA@aol.com
writes:

<< << It would also prevent the
  complete ignoramus from jumping into 50s totally unprepared >>
 Saints and ministers of grace, preserve us!:) Yeah - my BIGGEST pet peeve in
 this sport - the person who discovered the sport and then ran out and bought
 a horse. No experience, no knowledge - but they ide like the wind and
 soemtimes win and think they are doing it right, on EVERY new horse they
ride
 every season:). s >>

And actually, I see more of this mentality coming up through the ranks on the
LD's--no slam on the majority that are using them wisely...  So how does
requiring participation on LD's do anything to change this attitude?  To be
honest, I think it would have much MORE effect to "require" everyone to do a
50 first, and THEN they'd see how much tougher it is!  But that is hardly
feasible, or fair, either...

Next thing you know, we'll have mandatory crewing time, mandatory PR time,
mandatory classes and clinics in endurance...

To be honest--the information and help are out there, for any who are of a
mind to learn (and there are more folks like that in THIS sport than in just
about any other discipline I've been around), and there are tighter
veterinary controls than in any other sport to be advocates of the horses of
the folks who do NOT choose to learn and to self-monitor.  I don't think ANY
sort of educational "requirements" will change the nature of human
beings--some WILL learn and some will not.

Heidi