Re: riding position

What I
>just figured out (because I just did a training ride that was all uphill,
>and then down hill on the way back) is that it's the downhill that's killing
>my knees.  Uphill and level (trotting is better than walking) I can go all
>day.  So is there anything I can change about going downhill that could
>help?  I am putting weight on my feet and am slightly up in the saddle, just
>enough to let the horse go side to side beneath me.

Try transferring a bit of the weight from your feet to your thighs during
your downhill work...sorta like the Thighmaster.  Don't grip with your
knees, merely put a bit more weight on your thighs.  The remaining weight
should be in your heels, your ankles absorbing the motion, and your knees
should stay relaxed.  If you stiffen and brace on your downhill stretches,
your knees will get a lot of concussion.  It's a very relaxed, slightly
thigh-weighted two-point...and you must put your weight into your heels to
get the relaxation.  If you're having trouble with a relaxed two-point,
think of the motion you do to stop a trampoline.

>Next problem is a little more delicate.  If I'm trotting a lot and really up
>in 2-point, I'm fine.  But walking slight hills or in situations where I
>need to be a little lighter in the saddle, but not really out of it - I'm
>really getting myself sore in the crotch.  I'm trying to be aware and keep
>my pelvis tilted back so I'm on my butt bones better, but I just can't seem
>to stay in that position.  And it seems to be a lot worse when I'm trying to
>keep the horse in a walk when she wants to trot - which is essentially an
>entire CTR!

Here again, put a bit more weight into your heels -- just enough that you
slightly lift your seat bones until you can feel the two butt bones and the
pubic bone equally...then sit a little harder without losing the equal
pressure of all 3 bones...but still remain slightly light.  Also, by
progressively stretching the hip joint areas, you will gradually sit deeper
in the saddle.  As you sit deeper, your position will improve quite a bit.
When you need to use your butt bones for effect, you'll have a much better
aid.  And don't forget to breathe and relax. ;-)

Be sure your saddle sits you in a balanced position.

Sue

sbrown@wamedes.com
Tyee Farm
Marysville, Wa.