Re: RC: Re: LD and BC

The idea of a minimum time for completion is intriguing, but depends so much
on the terrain to determine what is reasonable that it would have to be set
for each ride, maybe based on the past several years' finish times?  But
there are people (like me in the past) who only want to go fast, who have
(had) no intention of doing 50's.  LD means different things to different
people.  At first I saw LD as the goal--never wanted to do 50's or more.  As
I learned more, I wanted more.   Should I have been penalized for having a
different outlook then?

Some people have mentioned that newbies should start out in CTR.  Great if
they have rides in your area.  NW region has no NATRC rides that I have been
able to find, and the so-called CTR rides in our area are pretty cliquish.
They have many obstacles, and everyone moseys along at literally 2MPH, spends
more time visiting than riding, and all the obstacles have a wait time
ranging from 10 to 30 minutes.  Besides, if you show up in tights and a
helmet everyone asks if your one of them endurance riders and I have actually
heard people say we didn't belong at "their" ride.  The point being, LD truly
is a training exercise, but we aren't all training for the same thing.

jeri (50's in my future!)