RE: Re: LD and BC

My first LD ride last year was "too easy" so I decided to go ahead and try
50's.  I did the same ride as a 50 this year.  Beau went out like a bat out
of hell and I spent most of my time convincing him that he didn't have to
gallop.  Just where the 25 milers split off from the 50's he took off at a
mad gallop towards 25 miler's vet check (he remembered from a year ago!)
which is only 6 miles from the 25 mile finish.  Unfortunately, I had to use
the "pulley rein".  (Next issue - work on control during "races" - he
normally is VERY EASY to control during training rides.)  I certainly didn't
want to race, but try and convince Beau!

He was over-excited going into the lunch stop.  After lunch he was starting
to feel sorry for himself, but we completed the 50.  Not with great vet
scores, but we completed. Yeah, my first 50 completion!  I view the 50's I'm
doing this year as "training rides" too.   As Beau gets fitter and fitter, I
don't think that doing more 25 milers would teach him anything about
"pacing".  He wants to be a race horse.  I just want him (and me) to survive
endurance riding.  Somewhere along the line we'll get it together, but I
don't think that for this particular horse and rider combination, 25s will
do it. We'd still be "racing." So I will do some real moderate to slow 50's
for my next few rides.  Yes, I'm still a newbie.

And then there are some riders out there that take satisfaction in only
doing LD.  I have no problem with that at all.  As long as it is fun for
everyone.

I agree with Truman that training can be done effectively with CTR.  I
personally wouldn't want to see AERC adopt too many restrictions. I like it
just the way it is.  If people want to ride with people under more
controlled situations, they should stick to CTR and not try to change AERC.

I went back and forth about the Australian log book system in my mind.
Then I come to the realization that it probably wouldn't have prevented
Dancer's death.  I would'nt want to further burden the ride manager's plate!

Kathy