Re: RC: Dancer

I have been thinking about this issue a lot, & come to the conclusion going
over the cliff was probably a separate issue from the over-riding & abuse
claims. But now that it's come to a head, abuse needs some open discussion,
perhaps in more generic terms.
"Abuse of an equine" (although "abuse" is not clearly defined)is
specifically listed as a cause for which a ride manager may refuse entry.
Yes, after being refused entry the rider may well put up the $100 and file a
protest, which may or may not be upheld. But if so many riders, vets, and
ride managers were supposedly wringing their hands over this individual for
2 years, why was nobody willing to follow through with documentation of what
they had witnessed? Speaking out after a horse dies is useless if the
speakers are not willing to risk having to send affidavits to the protest
committee.
Plus, having to publicly defend one's behavior to a committee might get
someone thinking more seriously than a one-on-one warning. It is not
uncommon for the frontrunners in this sport to get sniped at for
over-riding, cutting trail, yada, yada, yada.  I can understand why a person
might tune out a comment or two as sour grapes. If a horse is truly
mechanically sound and metabolically fit at the start and finish of each
race, it's not abuse, even if it isn't the way I might ride.
On the other hand, a whole stack of signed testimonials about whippings,
etc. from well repected peers might make the difference. If not, you really
can't legislate against stupidity, only hope someone else learns from the
mistake.
And maybe AERC could elaborate a little on the definition of abuse in the
rulebook?
Nancy Mitts