Re: Abusive rider

><<  >  I am totally in favor of Australia's horse passport system (i think
>they
>do this in Europe too).  Yeah, it's more rules, more regulations, and many
>of
>us are in this sport because we rebel against too much control. BUT if it
>will save a horse's life, then I am all for it. So let's use this incident
>galvanize this horse community.
>  -b> >>
>
>Sorry, but I don't go along with the idea that to make people more
responsive
>to problems, the "government" needs to step in with more restrictive rules.
>It may be the state or federal governments or AERC, but the results are the
>same...more restriction, less freedom, and less voluntary personal
>responsibility taken.

Sad part, tho, a current trend in today's society is to produce a whole
huge clump of society that has been spoon fed, undereducated (and don't
really understand the importance of deeper-than-superficial education),
and/or are a bit spoiled...and, for whatever reason, have not yet acquired
the concept of responsibility.  The only reason they follow *any* rules
that don't meet their fancy is that someone will toss their sorry a** in
jail if they don't!  A few of them end may up in the endurance sport
(absolutely no reflection intended here on the current incidence...just
reflecting on a general concept.)

So what do you do to get these folks to understand what they're doing, not
be so spoiled that *their* wants come before the horse's *needs*, become
better educated and better trained, etc.?...or is shunning the only real
answer...force them out of the sport for the sake of the horse?  Next we'll
have to watch out for them on the highway...and they'll still be the same
old irresponsible jerk they were on the horse.

Sue

sbrown@wamedes.com
Tyee Farm
Marysville, Wa.