Horse abusers need to be stopped

patrick mcdonald pjcmd@us.ibm.com
Well it finally happened. The same guy who consistently rides his
horse to win every week has finally done it. His horse died at the
Oakland Hills ride. WE cannot say we did not see it coming. This rider
treats his horse I suppose like the motorcycles he use to race. He
has one goal and that is to win at any cost. His rides usually end
with his horse hooked up to IV and or lame. An occasional Win drives his ego
on.Back to back weekend racing on his young horse was the norm.
All the vets were aware of him, yet could not stop him. Riders were
aware of what he did but again could not stop him. Ride managers could
do nothing within the guidelines of the AERC. I have talked to many riders who
have witnessed him whipping his tired horse to go faster. I have seen
him pulled at TEVIS, only to argue with the vets and then leave his
horse tied in the boiling sun with his head hanging,(no water) while
his crew tended to his every need.
Something needs to change folks. Possibly keeping records on treated
horses? Vet comments regarding overriding sent to AERC? Riders that
witness this behavior to document it? Think about it.