Re: emergency brakes

The same appaloosa who nailed the dog at the workshop had to be ridden in a
very severe western curb bit.

If he had it in his mouth, you never had to touch it.  He neck reined, did
leg cues, the whole nine yards, he was a perfect gentleman.  It had a
copper roller, and when standing waiting for a cue, you'd hear him playing
with it with his tongue (ching, ching, ching, ching).

But heaven help you if you put anything less severe in his mouth.  He would
grab it and take off for whatever was the most fun way to get you off his
back.  Trees, water, traffic, fences, you name it, he was gone.  You could
pull his head all the way around 'till he was looking you dead in the eye,
he'd continue on full speed ahead until he crashed into something.

Spot was a real fun horse (really!).  My husband made me sell him 'cause he
wanted to eat the neighbors kids (and woudn't have minded taking a chunk
out of him either) and we could never find anyone willing to feed him if we
had to go out of town.

The neighbors lived in fear he'd get out, and called us up gleefully every
time they saw him lying flat to sleep (which he did periodically): 'hey!
your horse is dead!'

Tara Wheeler
"She is the virgin harlot. She is vulgar, witty, knowlegable to a depth
that terrifies, cruel when she is most kind, unthinking while she thinks,
and when she seeks to build, she is as destructive as the corriolis storm."
Bijas from 'Dune Messiah' speaking about Alia and harpy@io.com