Re: RC: Re: Breeds

In a message dated 6/15/00 7:46:42 AM Pacific Daylight Time, RhndLev@cs.com
writes:

<< You've been lucky, Pat.  My first Arabs were well-bred on paper anyway,
had
 good conformation, but were not at all NICE. >>

I've always been curious about this bit about being "well bred on paper"--who
defines what "well-bred" is?  In far too many cases the phrase "well-bred" is
used in reference to having ancestors that someone paid a lot of money to
promote, rather than to any particular qualities that those ancestors did or
did not possess.  For the phrase to have any meaning, you really have to
define what you mean by "well-bred" and then ascertain that the majority of
ancestors did, indeed, possess the traits that you value.

Heidi