Re: RC: Gaited Horses & Spooking

In a message dated 6/15/00 8:46:17 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
guest@endurance.net writes:

<< what can I do to
 keep a million curses from being aimed at me if I pass you on trail?  Is
there
 some unwritten trail etique that should be followed that I am unaware of? >>

Approach from the rear slowly.  Speak to the rider and ask if it would be ok
for you to pass.  Then, request left or right side.  Since you are the one
passing, you take the more dangerous side -- the one with the drop off.
Obviously if the horse is losing his mind, stay waaaay back till the horse
has a chance to look you over and see that you really aren't the herd from
Hell, but one horse who wants to pass.  The main problem I've seen with
gaited horses upsetting non-gaited horses is just the "startle effect".
Those gaited guys are NOISY!!  My horses don't seem to mind the gaited guys,
but as I said in an earlier post, I've seen horses who definitely DO mind.
Also, be aware that gaited horses (especially if they have a lot of termino
-- think that's the word) can fling rocks up quite far and quite hard.  Pass
other riders slowllllllly please:)

Sylvia