Re: RC: Re: RE: electrolyting on the trail

I mix up a couple of syringes of lytes with applesauce & a bit of peanut
butter to make the mix just the right thickness and then put a tube in a
ziplock bag to put in my pack in case the plunger comes out the back, which
could make a real mess (which has happened).  I also carry a dose of dry
lytes in case I do lose the pre-
mixed lytes in the ziplock bag --- can always mix it with water in the
emptied syringe.
When I get to a stream, I give about half a (large) syringe from the saddle
(pull the horse's head to the side, reach over & squirt some in behind the
bit).
I leave already made syringes at the vet checks & put a new one in the
ziplock bag for the next leg.
A couple of yrs ago I got randomly selected for drug testing at an ECTRA CTR
--- I worried a bit that there was something in that peanut butter that might
cause a problem, but I never heard anything, so I guess the little dab of
peanut butter is ok!

Nancy
Md