Re: RC: Gaited Horses & Spooking

At 08:55 AM 6/15/00 -0700, Kim wrote:
what can I do to keep a million curses from being aimed at me if I pass you on trail?  Is there
some unwritten trail etique that should be followed that I am unaware of?

The same etiquette that applies to any passing situation applies to gaited horses.  Seems to me the problem is not only the "different" hoofbeat cadance, but also the speed that the horse approaches from behind.  If a non-gaited horse were to overtake someone on the trail at the trot and failed to either slow down or to speak up, "requesting the trail", i.e., ask to pass, you'd have the same potential for wrecks.  When riding a gaited horse alone or with other gaited horses it's easy to  forget how fast you're really going!  Lif

Lif & Paul Strand
  STRAND ENTERPRISES fasterhorses.com
providing you with alternatives for your life
Web Page Design * Computer Graphics * Internet Research * Fine Art
Blue-Green Algae & other complementary health options
Arabian Horses for Distance Riding
fax: (561) 594-4609