Re: RC: Breeds

 Some years ago a premere rider in the
>SE showed>up with a warmblood and most people thought he had lost his
mine.  >Well 6000 or>so miles later most of ut in the top 5, no one is
laughing any longer.

Be fair Truman, if you're talking about Jim Barnett's horse, he was 1/2
Trek and 1/2 Arab wasn't he?  If I just heard "Warmblood" I'd think 1/2
draft, 1/2 TB.  Was talking to Jim about that horse last weekend.  He
said since he retired him he's gotten HUGE and "wouldn't fit in the back
of this truck".  I think that slow metabolism may have caught up with
him.  He was a heck of a horse over rough terrain though!

Don't want people to get me wrong, I used to campaign HEAVILY for breed
awards.  I thought it would make far more sense for Apps to race against
Apps, TWH against TWH, etc... encouraging endurance in all breeds.  If
somebody had a QH and wanted to compete, I'd say go for it, but if I was
at a point in my life where I was considering switching breeds, and
wanted to do endurance, I'd explore the possibilities.

After doing endurance awhile, I started to feel bad for some very chunky
horses whose owners "loved them too much to switch" and looked like
they'd love to be anywhere but there.  Those horses know whether they're
doing well, and don't like getting passed any more than another horse.
They were also horses who would have made an Arab look silly in an arena
doing speed or agility events and could have excelled in their own
disciplines.

Another thing, I just wondered if she'd ever really ridden a TWH.  I had
a boarder who didn't ride very well, was overweight and very top heavy
with skinny legs.  Didn't take much of a spook to send her flying...sort
of Humpty Dumptyish.  Anyway, we decided she'd better off on a TWH
because it was such an "easy ride".  Well, I found her a good one and she
kept telling me it ran off with her.  I finally had time to go with her
and watch and all the horse was doing was moving out at a running walk.
She'd felt more secure on a very doggy QH walk.  No matter what, she
always felt like the TWH was too fast.  I think that some people who are
scared think they'll be better off on them because they "walk", but
they're actually very fast.  If they find they like them, great.  By the
way, sold the mare to my uncle who's a Walking Horse lover (calls my
horses "bumpity bumps" and he said she's the best he ever owned.  I just
recommend doing some research before switching breeds.

Angie (yes I've been beat by some Walking Horses)

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.