Breeds

In a message dated 6/13/00 8:27:25 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
mitts_n@hotmail.com writes:

<< We to a real disservice to endurance riding (and people wanting to start
 out) when we tell people they have to go buy an Arab to get started.
 Especially if they already own another breed of horse.  >>

I think the original question was something like "What is the best breed for
endurance".  They were horse shopping, not talking about using an existing
horse (if I understood/remember the post correctly).  The original poster was
asking us to choose between a quarterhorse or TWH.  Most people seem to be
recommending Arabs (me included).  I agree that you can try the sport on your
existing horse.  My Paint horse is a great trail horse and we did CTR for 6
years before I got the bug to do 100 milers.  It would have been abusive to
ask him to go more than 25 miles in a day.  He would have tried till he
killed himself (doesn't know how to quit), but he just doesn't have the
metabolic or physical make up to do long distances.  I also agree that
different breeds CAN do it, the odds aren't as much in your favor though and
you're going to have to work a lot harder both conditioning and during the
ride.  If you're specifically shopping for a horse to do endurance distances
on (50 miles and more) then the Arab sure deserves a closer look.

Sylvia (This is how I ended up with one 23 yo Paint horse and 3 Ayraaaabs :)