RE: Re: mare won't take care of herself

Kriss, so fess up - what do you do for the wannabe race horse!  The guy is
Russian/Crabbet/Polish been he's never been raced so does those genetics
kick in?

Someone I know (who actually has done only one 50 in his life) said he
"opened her up" the first half and "beat her with a stick" all the way home
for a racy mare.

On the last vet check, I told the vet that I fought my horse to slow him
down the first half of the race, because he wasn't eating, wasn't drinking -
just wanted to beat all 30 horse in front of him.  The vet told me that
sometimes fighting them takes more out of them than just letting him go.

All my cautious riding buddies said that I should take it easy (as if I
could).

He wasn't tying up, but his hydration and gut motility was suffering and I
didn't feel like testing the limit and getting a dead horse.

So how do you make the horse eat and drink!

I just hope this gets better with experience - both for him and for me.

Kathy Mayeda