Re: Re: mare won't take care of herself

Well Kathy, all of my arabs have come off the race track so I only know what
works with those horses.  I will tell you what I do and maybe you can use
some of these things that work for me.  First off the arabs off the race
track are taught not to eat or drink anything with a bit or bridle on.
Experience has taught me NOT to do the horses 1st season with anything less
than my dressage bit.  Then I switch to a mechanical hackamore the second
season.  I use a dressage bit because of the double rein system,  the top
rein of course is very gentle, and the bottom rein is for more control.
Anyway, at home I feed a light dinner at night, put the water bucket at half
full.  Then I plan a early ride for the morning.  I tack up (bit & all) and
ride out to a creek, wade in.  I live in the desert so I know my horse is
thirsty, and hungry.  There is fresh grass growing on the sides of the creek
and fresh water is running.  All 4 of my horses have immediately grabbed the
fresh grass.  None of have drank immediately, however!!!  Then I go for a
ride, long enough that I know they are really thirsty, and then head back to
the creek.  We wade back in, and of course they go for the grass,  I let
them munch on the grass for approximately 1/2 hr.  Sometimes they will
drink, sometimes not.  I have noticed they begin to "root" in the water with
their noses.  By the second time they are drinking and eating while we are
wading in the creek.  My arabs have all translated this as "good" and from
that point have ate and drank under saddle and bit during an endurance ride.
A word of caution, and a note to let those out there who might think I am
abusing my horses by feeding and watering at half rations the night before.
First I have never had to do this more than five times, and if it is really
hot (over 90) I do not withhold half of the water.
This works for me because I can take my horses out of the grass pasture, and
put them in a dirt paddock for the night.  And the irrigation creek is only
about two miles into the desert.  With this technique I also can accomplish
my "water" training easily.  (horses in the desert don't see ground water
often)  Sitting on the horse while they are wading in the creek, eating and
drinking also seems to calm these ex-race horses down, and causes them to
change their attitude.  As your horse never being raced.................it
has to be genetics and training!
I knew someone who also tried the techniqueof........opening them up, and
then beating them home.  Did not seem too successful to me, as the horse was
frightened of him forever after that, and we all thought he was a JERK!!!
He was my best friends husband,  and she was so mortified by his behavior
she cried.  It is not something I would ever suggest trying.
Now............I hate to say it but I agree with the vet.  I have spent more
energy trying to slow them down than it was worth.  It works for me and my
horses to start with the front runners.  They seem to be more under control
that way, and they are used to going fast.  Not that I let them
run.........but a fast extended trot or gallop does not seem to hurt them.
Then at least we use that energy for forward movement, instead of fighting,
and they are happy with that.
BUT.......the most important thing to do is............RIDE YOUR OWN
RIDE(RACE).  Do what is safe for you and your own horse.  I do this because
it works for me!!!
Long Winded-Kriss