RE: australian saddles - pads and girths

Tamara Woodcock nis75p06@mindspring.com
I've been riding in an Aussie saddle for over a year now, used on 4 different horses.  I picked the saddle because I am pretty big and finding a seat I didn't feel cramped in was difficult.  I use a Kimberly Campdrafter from Down Under Saddle Supply in a 19" seat

From my experience:
You cannot use an english girth with an Aussie saddle, the Aussie saddle is secured to the horse with an overgirth and you need the special aussie girth to attach to this.  The girths supplied are way too long for the standard Arab.  The shortest girth fit my mid-sized grade appy fine, the 32" girth fit my huge QH fine, but for my 14 hand Arab, nothing could be tightened enough, and for my currect 14.3 hand Arab, the girth is buckled close to the highest hole.  This is with a 28" girth.  If you have a smaller horse, you will have to get a custom made girth.  I spoke on the phone last week with Teddy and she said she could make me one.  (Now if I can just remember to send in my unused one as a template for her to work off of)

I've used all sorts of pads under the saddle.  A shaped wool pad (my favorite material, but pad was too small for my large seated saddle.  would work fine for a "regular" sized saddle), and thin "western" blanket (2nd favorite) and a regular foam-type western pad (least favorite).  The saddle is so highly stuffed, that you really only need a thin pad.

I haven't had any problems posting in it, the poleys don't get in the way, but I have gotten some interesting bruises when my horse does his "airs above the ground" unexpectedly and I come close to falling off.  The poleys are very hard when you land on them instead of the saddle's seat.

The ONLY thing I don't like about my saddle is the quantity of leather.  Very time-consuming to clean.

Also, I had to send the saddle back several times before it was shaped right for my horse.  With the large poleys, not only is it paramount that the saddle fit the horse correctly, but that it be PEFECTLY level for the rider, otherwise you will end up riding up against the poleys and getting some more bruises on you legs when ducking under trees, etc.

-Tamara

Lysane Cree lysanec@yahoo.ca
Hello,

For those of you who ride in Australian saddles, what would
you say is the best type of pad to use with it? I have not yet bought the saddle but will be in the coming week. I have been
looking at all-purpose type saddle pads. I have always ridden
in a Western saddle, so I don't know too much about the different
qualities, materials, etc. for all-purpose pads and how
well they fit under the Australian saddle as opposed to a
"standard" all purpose saddle. Any help, insight, advice, etc.
will be much appreciated. The only girth I have right now
is a neoprene SMx which I had used with my western saddle. I am
assuming that a standard English girth will work on the
Australian saddle, but I am undecided about going with leather,
neoprene, or something else. Any preferences?Lysane