Fwd: RC: meals at rides

In a message dated 6/5/00 11:29:29 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
dleblanc@mindspring.com writes:

<<
 I have a request for you ride managers out there.  Could you please
 indicate in ride announcements whether a meal will be provided, which one,
 and whether there will be anything for vegetarians to eat?

Well, here goes again. It all boils down to letting it be the riders option
to have a meal or not.  It can't be that hard to put on entry if you are
going to eat or not.  If not, give the rider the meal price discount off of
entry fee.  Have only enough tickets for riders who pre enter and want meals.

I have the same problem.  I do not eat meat.  But that is what is served.  By
the time I get in from ride all that is left is a little bit of wilted
lettuce.  I really don't think
that is fair that I have to pay for dinner that I don't get or can't eat.
I know RM. have a lot to do.  Put it on RC or in the EN that dinner is a pre
entered option, in this day and age there are numerous ways to convey a
message.  The ride entries have gotten real high, which I understand BUT why
not give the riders a break and have it be a choice for meals?  Is it fair to
anyone to pay for something that is not there, not eatable?

Go ahead and start with the flaming.  It has been done before but this is an
important issue.
Keri

---- Begin included message ----
I have a request for you ride managers out there.  Could you please
indicate in ride announcements whether a meal will be provided, which one,
and whether there will be anything for vegetarians to eat?

I don't eat land animals, and it is a bummer thinking I'm going to get fed
only to find that everything has beef in it. It has been so long since I've
eaten beef, I'll get an incredible case of indigestion if I eat just a
little, so I really don't have a choice at this point. If I know in
advance, then I can make sure I feed myself. I also like to socialize with
everyone else, so when there is something I can eat, it is nice to be able
to share the meal with everyone.  I know we're a fairly small minority
(5-10% of US population - no idea whether endurance riders are more or less
likely to not eat meat), and understand the hassles of trying to accomodate
everyone, but if I just know in advance, I can deal with it.

I've also shown up for some rides thinking there is going to be a meal,
only to find there isn't going to be one - again, if I expect that, it
isn't a problem.  This is especially true if it is a pot luck - I need to
plan to cook a lot more of one item. A little communication on this would
help a lot!

David LeBlanc
dleblanc@mindspring.com

---- End included message ----