Re: RC: Electrolyte comparison list.

hi Jennifer: I used to use P&W, but switched to another brand and am much happier with the results.  At first, the horses did like P&W, they'd even drink water from with the stuff in it.  But...ah......endurance horses...they are forever changing and adapting and just when you think something is working, they decide to prove you wrong :^).  So now I don't even bother messing with trying to put electrolytes in water, or in their food (or if I do, it is available in addition to everything else).....that way I can regulate and have some control over what they are actually getting.  (and no, I don't ask them if they like what they getting now --- I just tell them that they can either deal with the electrolytes or get a wormer instead, and they quit arguing <g>)

I'm just about thru getting a table set up with results from one day of testing on one of my horses on a 50 from last month.  It's the on-site results, showing electrolytes and blood gases and may not be of much interest to some but it does show at least that the electrolytes ARE indeed working.  I am always trying to find a better way (anything to help the horses), though at the current time I'm a bit afraid to change or try a different electrolyte.  What is it they say, if it ain't broke don't fix it? So for now we're going to keep with the current program until somebody can show me why another electrolyte will get my horse thru a hard hot 100 miles any better than what I'm currently using (and gain weight, to boot!).

Oh....Lyte Now does look interesting (I've never tried it), but it'd be too darn pricey for me based on the amount of doses I give my horses.  I think that there are so many variables that it is hard to recommend to somebody else how to manage their horse -- they all eat differently (at rides), and are in different stages of conditioning and experience......and those factors alone might have more to do with anything than the brand of electrolytes or even how you provide them.

http://members.xoom.com/ridephotos/  <---check later tonight, I'll have a link from here