Re: /dogs

Hi.  It's a tough one because I live in a rural area, where, as a rule, dogs
are friendly.  Any and all dogs are welcome on my property if they are
friendly.  The same goes for taking your dog out : if it can't behave, have
it on a leash, if it can, don't worry.

As I said, I had tried to lock my dogs inside, because I know these dogs
roam the neighbourhood, and its something which irks me because the ONLY
reason they are locked up when I ride is because of these dogs : the rest of
the dogs in the neighbourhood are great - in fact one or two of them join up
with us when we ride out.

I had warned the owner on more than one occasion that his dogs were a hazard
(they also go for the horses) and he had promised to keep them locked up.
The day before this happened, my vet actually ran over his dog, which was in
the road, fracturing his pelvis, so you'd think the owner would be more
careful.  He offered to pay my vet's bill, so I thought that he'd have
learned, but yesterday, guess what : all three dogs (and these are BIG,
MEAN, dogs) were out AGAIN and AGAIN they tried to go for the horses.  The
owners were out - we rang the bell, and they'd gone out for the day.

I can't shoot the dogs.  It is not there fault they are untrained.  It is
the owner's responsibility to ensure that they are not a danger to
themselves or others.

As for the leash thing, Mags would have been killed had she been on  leash.
The only thing which saved her was the fact that she was quick enough to run
away, and they couldn't catch her.  A leash when you're out walking is a
good idea.  On horseback, you're too far removed from the dog, and it's too
easy for the leash to get tangled around horses' legs in a panic.

At the end of the day, my time with my dogs has been shortened due to the
fact that this owner shows complete disregard for the fact that other people
use the roads and the veld around the properties to spend time with their
animals.  His never get taken out for walks or anything, they are just
allowed out willy-nilly, with no supervision.