Fwd: RC: Riding alone?

---- Begin included message ----
In a message dated 5/17/00 5:22:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
CMKSAGEHIL@aol.com writes:

<< That's one reason why a certain amount of training should always be done
 alone--you don't want to have a horse that is herd bound or dependent on
 others.  >>
  It also helps if your horse can "go it alone" to maintain a pace determined
by the rider, not the horse's.  Here in the hot, humid Mid-Atlantic region,
going at a pace dictated by the terrain and weather conditions, not the
presence or absence of other horses can be critical to finishing.
I would suggest that some riding at home alone helps acclimate the horse to
relying on the rider for his "herd."  One of the things I did with my younger
horses was to practise passing and dropping back when with another rider when
riding around home --- made our first rides away from home somewhat
controllable!

Nancy
Md
---- End included message ----