Petite Mount

Susan Johnson SjthePhoto@aol.com
Hello Ridecampers!  I wanted to get your opinion of my new mount.  I have her on trail for a week or so and while I have totally connected with her, I'm concerned about her size.

This little mare is about 13.2hh, and is about 6 years old, she has grown about 1 inch in the last year.  She has no papers as the ASPCA rescued her about 2 years ago, her teen owner was starving her.  We think that she is either POA or Appy and Arab, probably Egyptian.  Her bone is very fine (cannons are about 7 1/2").  She has a great hip, and I expect her chest to fill out some, as she's pretty thin right now.  Our farrier says she's got the best feet he's seen in a long time.

I'm not a top 10 rider, I like to take my time and visit with friends, usually taking 2/3 of the allotted time to finish.  I am 5'2" and I'm a featherweight.

My question to you is this:  Do these fine boned ponies do well in endurance?  I don't look out of proportion with her, and my saddle is an excellent fit, I just don't want to hurt her.  She looks like the yearlings where I board (they are QH yearlings).  She is very eager to do anything I ask, and I'm afraid that she may allow herself to go too far.

Your responses would be much appreciated.  Feel free to e-mail me privately if you wish-----

Susan Johnson and TinkerBelle