Prineville ride was grrreat!

Hi all..... Just finished cleaning out my trailer and putting away all that
stuff that I take to rides and never use. I am convinced that I could learn
to pack about a forth as much hay, feed and paraphernalia and still have a
comfortable weekend of riding and camping.
My Engelita and I rode our first 50 of the year at Prineville this weekend
and I was so pleased with her. She ate during the entire ride, started
drinking after the lunch break and gave me her big strong, fast trot
whenever I hinted that I wanted it and her recoveries were terrific. I got
off and walked into each vet check and called for pulse as soon as we
arrived. No waiting. I was proud of myself that I stayed in the vet checks
20 minutes longer than necessary to allow her to eat all she wanted. Even on
the trot by after 12 miles, I let the three riders I had ridden with go
ahead while I rested Engie and let her chow down. All in all a great ride.
After Howard's post, I am rethinking my goals for us. We may earn our 2000
mile medallion this year and I think I am going to go for miles completed as
opposed to pushing for top ten. The Prineville ride is great for being able
to run like the wind and feel reasonably certain that the footing will be
wonderful. There are a couple of good hard climbs and a couple of steep
downhills to jump off and run down. (once I tripped and went sprawling and
was so happy that no one was behind us to see my not so graceful descent. I
should not have been so smug. On the trot out at the mid-way vet check, I
tripped over the reins and went sprawling, this time in front of God and the
world. Only thing to do was to make a big deal of it, so I rolled over and
stuck both feet and my arms in the air. Mike Foss, the vet, was running to
me thinking I may have gotten hurt and Engelita stood there looking
embarrassed about her klutz of a mom. I got lots of laughs and one of the
vets said that they don't usually have to pull riders but they may have to
reconsider. HOW EMBARRASSING!!!! I do have a big raw spot on my knee from
one of my falls. I have no idea where we finished (left for home that night
so missed the awards) but the last twelve miles we did at a canter and fast
trot. After leaving the last vet check, we were alone and you could see for
miles over the desert. We were just loping along and I could see this big
cloud of dust way back. It got closer really fast and when we reached the
first water, three riders came up (they were the cloud of dust). Turned out
that they were 75 milers trying to outrun four who were hot on their tails.
I hooked up with them (they were led by Susie Morrill, a wonderful rider and
great competitor, as well as a neat person). That was the fastest twelve
miles I can remember. The best part is that Engelita was so strong and never
lagged or flagged. In fact, I had to hold her back a couple of times when we
got to two track trail. She thought those other four riders were trying to
catch *us*. She got all A's on her vet card except for a B for gut sounds on
the first check. Dontcha just love it when your horse gives you reasons to
fall in love with her all over again? I got to meet some of you that I know
only by your e-mail names. It is such fun being able to put the faces to the
names. Lynn Glazer was there with her camera and we should get some good
pictures when she has the time to get them off to us. Met Dot Wiggins and
played leapfrog with her for awhile. Cole Still adds a lot of flavor to any
ride. He always puts on a well run ride. He was proudly showing all the
beautiful Belt Buckle he was awarded for being the Grand Marshal at the
annual parade. He said that he was warned not to have too fast a parade as
they all know of his prowess in Endurance. What a grand man he is and he has
given so much to our sport. Maybe some of you will get a chance to meet him
at Bandit Springs and to experience the most succinct ride meeting ever.
Something like "The ride starts over there and finishes right there. There
will be plenty of water." Now I'll turn it over to the vets."
I only hope that most of you had as much fun with whatever you did this past
weekend as I did.