RC: Biltmore Syn

Barb Peck bpeck@together.net
Barb Peck
bpeck@together.net

OK the horses were low in Potassium.
What about Chloride and Sodium?

My previous post on 5/9 to Roger (OMNI blood results/Potassium Cl) addresses this question.

It's always been beleived that if sodium requirements
are met, then chloride requirements will be met. The sodium
molecule is attached to the chloride molecule, with the chloride
molecule weighing more than the sodium.

My horse, was close to being in trouble last year:
blood showed sodium was OK (as was Onmi's) but chloride
was low (so was potassium).

How do you up chloride, without upping sodium? (Lite salt
is 1/2 potassium chloride, 1/2 sodium chloride)
Also.... high sodium levels usually indicate some degree
of de-hydration, but I've never heard what the chloride levels
are doing when a horse is dehydrated.  Anybody know? Tom? Heidi?
Beth Glace..are you out there?

Potassium as to be right.  Too little is bad & too much is bad.

Here's my main question... potassium is found in alot of
stuff horses eat.. grass, hay, grain..
 are we talking
about these horses having a deficit in potassium Chloride
(i.e. the potassium molecule attached to the chloride molecule
as in the salt?)  or some other dietary potassium?

Barb