Re: bits

At 09:39 PM 5/12/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>Actually there is a mullen mouth bit made by Myler that can use each
>side of the mouth independently.  It is in 3 pieces and each side moves
>independently, but there is no break in the middle so it acts as a
>straight, actually slightly curved mullen mouth.  I am probably not
>describing it very well, but my filly thinks it works very well.  She
>had a fit with a broken snaffle and with a french link.  Louise

I've seen that bit and liked what I saw.  If it weren't for the fact that I
like the Baucher French Link for green horses (and own a couple already so I
don't want to spend more money on another bit right now), I would be
interested
in trying this bit.  (So if anyone in my neck of the woods owns one, I'd love
to try to see how it feels! ;-))  The horses I'm working with right now are
all
happy with the French Link for their arena work.  I had one horse that didn't
like snaffles so I tried her with a slightly curved Mullen mouth...she did
okay, but I could tell the difference in that it felt stiffer in her mouth...I
didn't get as much response with just tickling the reins.  I sometimes wonder
if she liked it better because she was started in a low port western curb?

Sue

sbrown@wamedes.com
Tyee Farm
Marysville, Wa.