Re: bits / gimmicks

My 22yo horse has nearly 4000 AERC miles on him, all of them in a hackamore.
(as far as i know, at least all of the rides he's done in the last 6 years.)

he isn't ridden in a hackamore because "he doesn't like the bit".  (i have
no idea if he likes a bit or not, not having ever once put one in his mouth.

it's so he can eat freely on the trail.  that's the ONLY reason -- but it's
a big one.

Oh, and his nose is just fine thanks.  one can ride with a hackamore without
using it harshly.  :)

Endurance is a completely different discipline than eventing.  Please don't
make sweeping generalizations based on erroneous assumptions -- e.g. that
the reason endurance riders use hackamores is automatically based on
discipline or schooling issues.  For many of us, it's about helping our
horses take care of themselves.

thanks for your post.  i always enjoy learning about how other disciplines
do things.  hope you'll take this post in the spirit is intended -- as
educational.

trishka (& jahal)

<<Hackamores are just a no-no in my book - no matter what discipline you do.
I have seen a horse with a broken nose from one.  If the horse doesn't like
the bit, and you have tried various different kinds, then rather go for a
bitless bridle, which can't damage the nose, or go back to the school and
practise.  Sorry, can't abide them.>>