Re: breeders who want more $$

Sorry all. This would have been sent yesterday had my fingers been able
to type the RC address correctly. This helps explain why I'm so
opinionated about the price thing. Contributing my knowledge and
expertise in this area is one way I can give back to RC for all of the
great knowledge I've gained over the last couple of years.

SandyDAS@aol.com wrote:

>$2000 for a 4 year old does not constitute full time wages for one let
alone
>2 people.

It was $2000 for an untrained yearling. She is NOW 4 1/2 and I have born

the costs of training her and boarding her since purchase 3 years ago.
She is also not a purebred or pedigreed crossbred.

That said, I don't think that $2000 is a premium price. I think the
breeder wasn't charging enough!

(I said that from what I was reading it sounded like the complaining
posters would think that it was a "decent" price for that age and level
of training. I could be very wrong.)

Before everyone goes whigging out over THAT statement, I DO know a thing

or two about setting prices. I make my living by providing marketing and
expertise
to my clients. (Think selling a horse is difficult? Want to try selling
opinions? )
Also, since I run my own business, I am very familiar with all
that setting a premium price entails since, as a marketing consultant
and freelance graphic designer with years of experience and successes I
can point to, my hourly rate is much, much higher than the kid down the
street
with daddy's computer and a laser printer, or the corner insta-print.
But that is what I compete with. Gladly and successfully.

Deanna (Ohio)

PS You all brought me out of hiding. I had to subscribe again.....