Re: bits / gimmicks

A French snaffle is the mildest snaffle you can use.  The plate in the
middle is rounded and lies flat on the horse's tongue - hence it does not
strike the palate or hurt the tongue.

A Dr Bristol is far more severe.  The plate is not rounded, but has an edge
and the plate lies at an angle so that, if used as it was designed, the
plate's edge actually lies on the tongue - far more tongue pressure than a
French.  The DB can also be used like a French if you put it in upside down,
but as the plate's edges are not rounded, it is a harder action.  The DB is
useful for a horse who does not respect the French, but bear in mind that it
is a severe snaffle and illegal for dressage.  I like it because, if you
have a horse with a hard mouth, constant pulling on the bars will have not
effect, and I do not like to go for a curb or gag as I prefer the action of
the snaffle, so a DB can be useful to teach the horse to respect the action
of the snaffle.  Once he does this, go straight back to the French.

For a good discussion on the difference between the two, see Jessica
Jahiel's site : www.prairienet.org/horse-sense

As I do not do endurance, my requirements are obviously very different for
yours, and I see what you say about the need you may have for more control
at the start of the race.  However, as I event, I also need control, but I
believe in gaining control in the school, not via a gadget.  The end result
is the same : control, but on the way I develop my riding skill, my
relationship with my horse, and a tremendous amount of satisfaction.

I have seen pelhams used to great effect.  Personally, I don't like them as
they are a "nothing" bit - not a double bridle, not a snaffle.  You have the
curb coupled with poll pressure - where does the horse go.  Also, to a
novice, the action seems desirable - softer mouth, more brakes - but unless
you use A LOT of leg, the horse's way of going deteriorates - the softness
of the mouth hides the fact that most of the horses I have seen in a pelham
go hollow through their backs - you lose TRUE impulsion - very different to
a horse who is simply forward-going.  However, for endurance, impulsion may
not be as important as controlled speed, so my comments are not to be seen
as a general comment.

Hackamores are just a no-no in my book - no matter what discipline you do.
I have seen a horse with a broken nose from one.  If the horse doesn't like
the bit, and you have tried various different kinds, then rather go for a
bitless bridle, which can't damage the nose, or go back to the school and
practise.  Sorry, can't abide them.

If your horse "rips your arms out" with other bits, then your problem sounds
very similar to mine, and have no doubt it is a schooling problem as well as
a bitting problem.  Hands are not brakes - they are the clutch, they control
the amount of impulsion your horse has, they do not STOP him.

If your horse doesn't listen to your body language then you must teach him
to do so.  That is what I am having to do with PG - first find a bit he will
listen to without affecting his way of going (hence a snaffle is preferable)
and then teach him to listen to the aides of the legs, back, seat and,
finally, the hand.  Do this at a walk at first, then a trot and then a
canter, until eventually you can stop him from a gallop using only your
voice and seat.  It can be done, I promise you, and at the end of the day
you will have a safer, happier horse, and far more comfortable shoulders.

And please don't get me wrong, I am not trying to sound like a know-it all
DQ, because I am not.  I live for the speed and adrenaline of XC, but I am
not prepared to sacrifice my horse's well-being for my "rush".  Panicked
horses who have not learnt to trust and respect you and to be in tune with
your body language will ignore ANY bit placed in its mouth.  A horse who is
sensitive to you and your aides WILL listen to you in a new situation,
because you have taken the time to build up enough trust in him that he will
look to you, not to get away.  Just a theory, but I have tested it and it
worked - I was once the only rider in a group with any control when the
horses spooked - and I was the only one in a snaffle.