Re: locking patella

Hi

my horse had this condition.  Both stifles locked in the stable, if he stood
still for a while, in the field sometimes , needless to say did not lock
when I had him pre purchase vetted! I rode him for a year and a half every
day doing schooling, hacking and dressage plus pleasure rides. I hoped that
the condition would resolve itself when he muscled up as it does with many
horses. Unfortunaltly it stadily became worse. I eventually opte to have him
operated on when he squashed me in the stable when both stifles locked and
he slipped and pinned me against the wall.

Good side

Once operated on his funny hind action resolved itself , it was a sort of
half hitch mid stride which you could feel through your bum. His stifles
must have semi locked each stride. He also went form a very slow dawdler at
the back of the group when hacking to a horse who trots at 13 - 16 mph! We
have competed upto 50's without problems.

He has also gradually over the last five years realised he can turn around
form a halt normally and doesnt have to elave his legs in the same place
wilst he twidlse round them , hard to explain but your horse maydo the same.
So I was pleased to have this problem resolved.

Bad Side

Although this has helped my horse I belive current vet advice belives this
may contribute to long term DJD, however there is also a school of thought
that the horse will get DJD anyway as the locking stifle can either be the
result of a ligament being over streched where it hooks onto the stifle, or
a malformed stifle -hence the risk of DJD. Also the horse may get DJD
without the operation due to the additional force needed to free the stifle
when locked. The imeadiatly post operation period  was also extremly painful
for my horse. he had colic type pain symtoms for a few days after wards.

My advice was if your horses stifles lock a lot i.e. not just once a month
and it doesnt improve with exercise the op my be worth considering.

Hope this helps, if you want more info plase email me.

Tamara