locking patella

I have a 6 year old gelding with bilateral locking patella syndrome.  I am
looking for anyone with any experience with this.  I have heard pros and cons
of surgery for this problem and am searching for additional input especially
from vets on the list.  Would this horse be capable of doing endurance either
with or without surgery?  What about DJD?

Thanks for your help.

Susan