Re: RC: More on American River Ride Base Camp

Hi,

I am very interested in what I have read here about the ranger conduct at
the American River Ride Base camp.  I'm not sure that I have a very clear
picture of what happened and why it happened as it did.  Forgive me if this
has been covered in earlier posts.  I was just skimming them until I got to
later posts that described the ranger conduct more fully.

1) Where did the rule prohibiting camping in "non-self-contained" units
come from?  Is this a formal rule that applies under all circumstances or a
rule adopted specifically for the ride?  If the former, does it apply to
this location only, or does it apply to all comparable facilities
statewide?  If it was a rule that applied just to this ride, what was the
rationale behind having the rule?

2)  People have indicated that ride management did not circulate the
information in advance.  If there was no advance notice, why was there
none?  Was managment unaware of the rule?  Was there some other reason why
participants were not notified?

3)  Assuming there was no prior notification by ride management, how did
participants become aware of the rule?  Was the rule posted anywhere at the
ridecamp? Is there a permanent sign indicating no camping except in
"self-contained" units?  If not, was there some sort of notice posted
specific to this occasion?  If there was no posted notice, was the problem
discussed at the ride meeting?

4) What time was the "inspection" conducted?  Did the rangers make any
attempt before this inspection to get people to comply with the rule?  If
so, what was the response to that attempt?

5)  I assume the video tape is available somewhere?

Suzanne Mounts