More on American River Ride Base Camp

Heather Watson watson1@gv.net
Just thought I'd clarify this again before the thread goes off
on a tangent:

<Plus you may not have the whole story here - there's a good chance
someone complained. Cops do not usually wake sleeping drunks unless they're
in public or might want to go for a drive.>

I agree.  They don't. That is exactly what was most disturbing here.  The entire camp
was asleep.  I walked the perimeter of the camp after using
the public restroom.  There was a fence along the perimeter
so I ended up doing a full circle around the camp.
It was VERY quiet, and all of the horses were sleeping, which
I remember thinking was odd, because usually there are a few
horses that can't settle down, especially with so many horses
there.

Everything was peaceful until the car alarm went off.  I arrived back at my truck just in time to see the police raiding people
sleeping in their campers.  They had a canine dog, hands on
holsters ready to draw weapons, and flashlights held high to
shine down into the campers. This behavior stopped when they
realized they were being video taped.

Inspections had been going on for hot and cold running
water, permanent toilets, and working stoves.  If you did not
meet this criteria, you were told you must leave immediately.
I'm assuming the breath checks were done in order to make sure
that they weren't making someone drive who may be legally
under the influence.  This is different than being drunk in
public.  And from my view, I did not see anyone creating a
nuisance, sober or not.

I do not believe that the level of searching that I witnessed
was initiated due to a complaint, which is what I would consider
normal/acceptable/responsible.  I believe this behavior was the
result of different origin.

Also, there are certainly two sides to this story.  The rangers
do have a responsibility to uphold rules, however I do believe
that their supervisor on duty had a choice as to how they wished
to enforce the rules.  There is also the question of how the
rules are interpreted.  I do not believe that the behavior I
observed would be endorsed/embraced by the anyone in power
who had to answer publicly.  And I also believe that the ranger
who was supervising the raids knew this deep down, because
the behavior took a different light once he realized he was
being filmed.

It was truly an unfortuante experience for all involved, and it
definitely took a great deal of fun out of the experience.
Fortunately, it IS a spectacular ride with inspiring views and
fun trail.  Once on the ride, I had such a great time I
could have easily forgotten all about the night before.
But I also feel that it is my repsonsiblity to follow through
in a civil manner and take the appropriate steps to voice
my concerns.  I am in the process of writing a letter of
complaint as well as following through to see if we cannot
get the rules changed.

Here's the info again, in case you'd like to add your voice:

You can write Larry Froley
Chief Ranger at Califronia State Parks, American River
District, 7806 Folsom-Auburn Road, Folsom CA 95630.
I spoke to a ranger supervior name Bob Willamson, and
he said you can e-mail them at rwill@parks.ca.gov
regarding this matter.  The phone # is (916)988-0205

-Heather