Re: RC: Fwd: RC: Re: Re: Re: Getting Pulled

In a message dated 4/30/00 7:23:27 AM Pacific Daylight Time, DVeritas@aol.com
writes:

<<   Each regional group of endurance riders KNOW why horses don't complete.
     The vets KNOW why horses don't complete. >>

Collectively--not always.  For instance, here in the NW we "know" that most
pull for lameness.  In the SE, they "know" that most pull for metabolic.  But
by getting more specific as to WHY (glad to see vet forms now coming out
asking for what TYPES of lameness, metabolic problems, etc.) and starting to
relate that information to terrain, weather, etc., hopefully we can help
riders to better prepare, design trails to meet horses' needs, etc.
(Example--we see metabolic pulls on Ride A under these conditions but not at
Ride B--and because we compare the two, we find out that Ride A has a long
stretch with little water followed by a big climb--might be alleviated if
management hauls a water tank to a particular spot.)  Yes, the good vets and
managers "understand" these things by experience, but it helps to educate
others.

Heidi