Re: RC: Getting PUlled -- It's a Privacy Issue

At 10:25 AM 04/29/2000 -0600, Lif Strand wrote:
>1)   If I had a prospective or actual employer who spent that much energy
>looking into my personal life, it would be a favor to me to have them
>reject me as an employee.

Guess what Lif.  This happens a lot.  Nowdays, you can't even get a job
with most employers without taking a drug test.   A lot of people probably
don't even know about the background checking that goes on, and some people
just don't care because they already have jobs, or are retired so it
doesn't apply to them.

>2)  If anyone gets busted for lying about where they were on a weekend,
>that's not the fault of publishing ride results, now is it.

That's why a lot of employers now let people take 'personal time', rather
than sick leave -- so if you need a day off you can take it and don't have
to feign an illness.  But not everybody is so lucky to have such a flexible
employer.

>3)  If clients who haven't been told what you're doing are smart enough to
>somehow track you down at an endurance ride, they're smart enough to track
>you down anywhere.  It's not like the EN is distributed like Time Magazine
>or TV Guide, available at every grocery & convenience store counter.  Any
>client who would spend that much energy to track someone down is too scary
>to do work for.

We aren't talking about Endurance News, Lif.  We are talking about somebody
doing a search on the internet and finding a persons entire ride
history.  If you are not an endurance rider, EN can be hard to find.

And while you might find a nosy employer too scary to work for, not
everybody has a choice or perhaps they don't even realize it or know how
nosy their employer is.  People put up with a lot more than invasion of
privacy issues in order to keep a job.

>4)  If your neighborhood cat burgler reads EN or even goes online & finds
>out you've completed a ride, it's already too late for them to do anything
>about burgling you because you'll be back home before the info is published.

Unless they have half a brain, which they probably do if they are surfing
the net, they can simply look and see that a person had done a certain ride
(multiday, etc.) for the last three years and what are the odds that
they'll be gone that same week again this year?  The ride calendar is also
available for them to check dates. There are always news stories about
'internet stalkers', and yes, using the internet to find out information to
use against somebody (or harm them in some way, like robbing their home) is
becoming a lot more common.

>Results of Little League games are published.  Results of high school
>basketball & football games are published.  Media reporters can attend
>endurance races.  Anyone who wants to can be a spectator at an endurance
>ride, including employers, relatives & enemies.   The races often are held
>on public land.   I don't think there is any way endurance racing could be
>considered anything but a public event.

Yes, but it's entirely different.  The entire history of each player is not
posted, and if it is posted in a local newspaper it is probably not making
the national news.

>Sorry - I got a little carried away here.  But of all the areas to be
>concerned about privacy in this day & age, I don't think publishing ride
>results is one of them.  Lif

I don't think the publishing of ride results is the issue.  It's giving a
stranger the ability to look up a persons entire ride history.  It's fine
if other members want to see that information - that's why we all get
yearbooks, but I personally don't think it is anybody elses business.  I
did not realize that the role AERC plays in it's record keeping would allow
them to give this information out to any non-member over the internet.

Some people place a lot higher regard for their privacy than others
do.  Lots of us on the internet think nothing of it, heck we have webpages
highlighting all of the rides we've done -- it's not like we're timid about
telling people<G>, but that doesn't mean we should not have respect for
people that want to keep their private life private.  If somebody wants to
know my entire ride history (or a horses), then I would feel much more
comfortable about it if I knew who and why.......obviously other members
are going to know because I'm out there riding with them.

Happy Trails,

Karen
in NV
& Rocky, 2,515 miles