Re: RC: RE: Re: Re: Getting Pulled

At 08:18 PM 4/28/00 -0600, Lif Strand wrote:

Is there some competitive sport that doesn't publish the information about who won & who didn't win? Is there shame in not winning the Wimbledon? Or not finishing in the first few places of the Kentucky Derby or Ididerod? - or maybe not getting much beyond the start line?

<<<<
This is a good point - in car racing, it is typically known how many laps someone completed, and why they 'DNF', right down to the component that blew up.

I think the problem is more a personal issue - when we blow up, it is a horse. We all love horses, and don't want anything bad to happen to them, so we're emotionally attached, unlike people with cars. Since we all care about the animals, I think some people extend that into being very critical of others, and some people judge others too harshly if something goes wrong. So we're afraid of being marked as a bad horse handler if we pull - as we all know, it is sometimes the other way around. I think this emotional component explains a lot of the strong reactions we're seeing out of people.

My $0.02...

David LeBlanc
dleblanc@mindspring.com