Re: RC: Fw: Re: Getting Pulled

At 06:50 AM 04/28/2000 -0500, Louise Burton wrote:
>  Do you want PULLED METABOLIC splashed all over everywhere when you decided
>  your horse wasn't eating well, or maybe his CRI was 12/14?  Geeze, EVERYONE
>is going to think you OVERRODE YOUR HORSE of course!!

So maybe if there was a RO-H option (rider option, horse) you could put
something like that into that category?  While a horse not eating could be
termed a metabollic pull, what about all the horses that finish rides
looking great and haven't eaten?  I've seen on numerous occasions riders
take horses thru 50's without the horse touching food, even though the vet
gave them all "A"'s on gut sounds.  Sometimes it isn't just that the horse
isn't eating, it could be that he just isn't eating as well as normal (but
still better than a lot of other horses), or maybe you just don't like the
way he looks when he is eating.......I can see where having something like
that listed as a metabolic pull would get some riders tights in a wad.

I would like to see the AERC record data pertaining to the number of
injuries sustained to both rider and horse during endurance rides.  I'm
sure nobody has any idea how many injuries occur in this sport every
year.  I've been at rides where as many as half a dozen people ended up in
the ER (either during or immediately following the ride).  But then, you
might not end up with anymore lame horses.  They'd all be injured <g>.

Happy Trails,

Karen....who has a spot reserved in her name at the local ER  :+)
& Rocky.....who me?
& Weaver.......I'm innocent :=))