Getting Pulled

Jennifer Layman jlayman@escrip.com
I'm just throwing this out there as food for thought, as I'm not sure where I stand on this issue.

It seems that what we need for education of general endurance public is merely statistics.  Why print the names of those pulled, but instead print the stats of those pulled.  i.e 8% of the riders pulled were pulled for lamness, 9% for metabolics, etc.

In addition isn't it the vets that need the historical information about a rider and horse... not the general public.  Such as the log book used in other countries that stays with a horse and rider forever, and must be presented at every ride.  If a horse is sold this information passes on to the new owner (I personally would want to see it before purchase).  This should be where all the details about the reasons for pulls could be accumulated.

I have seen a lot of riders do their jobs and get pulled occasionally.   We all agree this is part of this sport.  As Heidi said there is a rock, hole, etc with every horses name on it.  However, I have also seen riders not do their jobs over and over again.  This is what personally concerns me.  I do not care (or even wish) to see these later riders names slandered in public... I would like to see it prevented though.

I know a log book is a significant change to the organization and could never occur without hours of thought and discussion on how to manage (and of course agreed upon by the majority).  I do feel there is a need to know some history in some cases.

Again... just more thougt for the sake of discussion.