leg wraps

What does wrapping a horse's legs after a workout do? What kind of bandages
are used, polo, track or stable(as labeled in catalogs)? I normally see
bandages used over quilts. Also, while I'm thinking about it, what kind of
things should be done after a long ride (50+) to make the horse feel better.
I'm not talking about a sick or injured horse. I know I'm sore/stiff the next
day so I figure he is too.

                                             Shelly in DE