From: "hn.heather" <hn.heather@wanadoo.fr>
To: "Carlson, Jeff" <ranger2@net-magic.net>, <ridecamp@endurance.net>
Subject: RC:  Re: panacur
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 09:54:09 +0100

Anita

The deworming you speak of with panacur is not a "purge" but should form
part of an annual deworming program.  The idea of 5 days panacur is to
target encysted red worm larvae which over-winter in the walls of the
intestine, liver, and heart.  There is a massive exodus of these larvae in
the spring which can provoke occlusions and colic.

Liquid panacur 10% given at NORMAL dose (7,5ml/100kg live weight) is the
only wormer which will target 100% of encysted worm larvae and should be
given in Nov/Dec (recommendations for Europe).  Equest will also target
encysted larvae and Fort Dodge say it will hit 80% of the larvae.

In the UK there is a product called Panacur Guard which is essentially
liquid panacur which provides the correct dose for this treatment.  I think
you also have a new product on the market in the US which does the same
thing.

Strongic C will not touch encysted worm larvae, neither will ivermectin in
any of its forms.

Hope this helps.

Heather
SW France