RE: Re: panacur

<< The deworming you speak of with panacur is not a "purge" but should form
part of an annual deworming program.  The idea of 5 days panacur is to
target encysted red worm larvae which over-winter in the walls of the
intestine, liver, and heart.  There is a massive exodus of these larvae in
the spring which can provoke occlusions and colic.>>

Can the "purging" of the larvae cause a colic in the same way as the
"natural" exodus of the larvae?  The reason I ask, is that one of my horses
just colicked (first experience ever) and we don't know the reason for sure.
There is new green grass, but very little and he's been on it before in the
spring.  I kind of suspect worms even though he's been on a regular worming
program, because his coat is ugly (both the geldings have ugly coats and the
mares don't???) and they have good diets.  So I'm wondering if we should try
this panacur - but is it too late?  Will using it now cause problems as the
larvae are purged - assuming that is a problem for these horses?  BTW, would
signs of these red worms show up in a fecal sample - we had one done, but
haven't got the results back.

Thanks,
Marlene