Re: RC: Re: panacur

Hi Bonnie

>Does the company who makes Panacur officially recommend the 5-day
consecutive dosing you mention?

Absolutely, which is why Hoechst now market Panacur Equine Guard, called
something similar in th US.

> it makes me want to investigate possible chinks in my worming regime.

As I said in my post to Marlene the "chink in the armour" is in fact
ivermectin.  Which is not detract from ivermectin in the slightest because
it was a great step forward in deworming programs in that it targets
migrating larvae whereas other dewormers only targeted adult worms.  The
problem comes with using ONLY ivermectin.

An annual deworming program should comprise once-yearly with liquid panacur
for encysted larvae (say Nov), twice yearly with double dose strongid P
(spring & autumn) and the rest of the time with ivermectin or moxydectin
(Equest).  Fort Dodge say Equest targets up to 80% of encysted larvae.  Now
this a program I use in France so I don't really know how this relates to
the US with the vast climatic differences you have.

Of course the very best way to safeguard the health of your horse and your
bank balance is to keep your pastures clean ie collect droppings or graze
sheep or cattle in rotation.  However, as we all know, this is easier said
than done.

Hope this is useful.

Heather