Re: Educating Ride Managers?

>> Grievance Committee and to deny the Appeal.  However, a subsequent motion
>> was made and seconded "that the Board educate this ride manager and all
>> ride managers as to the need for safety throughout the ride."
>>
>Randy,
>As a member of the AERC, I would like to
>know the reasoning behind the
>this motion by the board. Plus, just how
>are you going to "educate"
>all of the ride managers?

I am not on the board, but this is my take...

Coming from years of working in a very litigious surrounding, I know very
well that education (getting the information *to* the individuals and
recording that they have received, reviewed, or attended) is a major
consideration with insurances, certifications, and so on...especially when
it comes to safety standards!!  The lawyers involved in a
morbidity/mortality case are going to want proof that the involved
individuals were educated according to accepted standards.  Experience in
doing something only means that an individual has done it...not that it was
done necessarily correctly.  If you don't have some kind of proof of
accountability, your case becomes pretty weak.  Even the most well
educated, sharpest, most ethical and responsible individuals must review
the standards of care for their involvement right along with those that
have only just begun.  They may already know and practice these factors to
the letter, but Joe Blow, Attorney at Law, on the 12th floor of the
National Bank Building will only see them as a person involved...and they
have no way of determining their level of competence without some proof.
What if something were to happen again...Mr. Blow will want to know WHY
these individuals had not been educated -- and, for all he knows, without
some kind of proof, the parent company has made no attempt to insure the
maximum in safety standards that they are able.  This will jeopardize their
ability to obtain recognition as a responsible organization...AND insurance.

Again...just my take.

Sue

sbrown@wamedes.com
Tyee Farm