Re: RC: Re: Educating Ride Managers?

At 10:49 AM 4/13/00 -0700, Sue wrote:
Experience in doing something only means that an individual has done it...not that it was done necessarily correctly.  If you don't have some kind of proof of accountability, your case becomes pretty weak.

I'd like to put a ride on here someday in the (hopefully) near future, so I have a personal interest in this topic.  I'd like to know what kind of accountablity would be acceptable (I am just asking for ideas, not legal opinions).  There aren't any schools for ride managers, no degrees you can get in college for managing rides.  Having your CPR certificate would be  nice, but that doesn't help you manage a ride either.   Would merely having read AERC's Ride Manager's booklet count?  Or helping ride management on other rides?

I can see that this is one of the indicators of our sport's growing.  Growing pains, if you will.  While of course accountability of RMs has always been important, I think we're approaching a new level - or maybe we've reached that level and have needed to address this issue long before.  Lif

Lif & Paul Strand
  STRAND ENTERPRISES   www.fasterhorses.com
providing you with alternatives for your life
Internet Research * Web Design * Fine Art
Blue-Green Algae & other complementary health options
Arabian Horses for Distance Riding
fax: (561) 594-4609