Stifle injury

Julia writes:
Thanks to everyone who helped me with my mare.
I am positive she injured her stifle on her rear right
leg last year.  After almost a year off and only two rides
this year she is again in pain and slightly off.

So my question is:  Is rest the only treatment?
                                  Can she be in the pasture?
                                  Will she ever heal?
Julia,
What was the extent of the injury in the first place? What, exactly did her
year off consist of? My horse tore the medial collateral and cruciate
ligaments in his right stifle 3 years ago. He got 6 months off (full turn out
- he would climb the walls confined to a stall). After the 6 months I had his
stifle re-ultrasounded and he was deemed fit to begin riding.  My first ride
on him consisted of a 10 minute walk.  The next day, I was allowed to ride at
a walk for 15 minutes and so on. After about 6 weeks of walking I was allowed
to add 5 minutes of trotting. I started riding again at this level in early
January of 98. By the end of May we tried a 25 miles CTR. Very nerve racking
but completed. In August we tried a very slow 50 - completed. In mid October,
we did a second 50 which we won and got BC.
Recovery is possible but I believe you must be (1) patient (2) consistent
and(3) have a horse with a brain to take care not to reinjure in turnout.
I hope this helps.
Sallie and Matty (the wonder horse, who just completed the very tough No
Frills 50 for our first ride of this season)