Re: RC: Educating Ride Managers?

A few articles in EN on what to do and not do and why would be a good start
for the education process. It's not only the RM but the riders that need the
education.

Some of the things I have seen as far as finish lines:

A ride where the finish line was coming into camp with a big tree about 20
meters where the trail opened up into the pasture.  Girl comes cantering in
and she starts to go one way around the tree, but the horse goes the other in
which case the tree pealed her right off the horse. Ambulance carted her off.

Solution: move the Finnish back up the trail about 200 meters so the horses
can trot easily into camp.

A ride where the finish line was on a dirt road. The camp was off the road
about 200 meters back. Sounds safe. Well the finish was about 20 meters before
the turn off into camp. Two riders are racing in for first and one horse,
instead of running out down the road to a safe stop, makes a 90 deg turn into
camp and the rider keeps going straight.

Solution: move the finish back up the road - which was done the next year.

At a ride where the finish was on a dirt road several people drove their
trucks out and parked along the road and congregated around the finish. I come
racing in and the horse in front of me spooks as some people suddenly stand up
between the trucks to see. The horse was about six inches from falling into a
ditch on the side of the road and stumbled at a gallop. I thought the horse
was going down which ment I had to do something to keep from running over
them. Thank goodness it did not happen. The horse was grade 1 at the final
check. He had been sound all day long.

Solution: No vehicles except management at the finish and keep it clear.

At a ride I ran some time ago I did not want the horses to be able to turn
into camp at speed so I did put the finish up the trial about 200 meters.  All
the top 10 riders were complaining that they didn't get a "fair shake" at the
10 minute CRI because they had to ride or walk their horses from the finish to
camp.  This was a two day ride.

A bunch complained to the head vet who talked to me about it. When I told him
why, he agreed and announced at the second day ride meeting that while they
may not like it it was for safety and was the same for all riders so it was
fair.

Sometimes the safest finish lines have hidden dangers and the more people that
are educated to this and are concerned about this the better.

I do think we need safety education of all riders and ride managers and I for
one welcome the AERC BOD taking such a stand.

Truman

--
Truman Prevatt
Brooksville, FL

Mystic "The Horse from Hell" Storm
Buck's Mystic Karma
Rocket a.k.a. Mr. Misty
Jordy a.k.a. Bridger (when he is good)
Danson Flame - Hot Dog I'm healed and ready to go.

http://www.mrsl.com