LD Variations

While I was AERC LD Chairperson, I was surprised to learn how much LD
varied across the country. If you live in the Central, Pacific
Northwest, So. East regions for example you will get the same awards as
50 milers. This includes first place, top 10, weight divisions, and BC.
BC will be judged using the same format as 50 mile riders. Top 10 judged
for BC. The only differences will be the distance and the pulse down
finish. Ride managers in these regions will tell you they rarely have LD
riders over ride their horses and most like the system. These regions
also have another common denominator, they have strong regional
organizations that do an excellent job educating riders.
I live in the Pacific Southwest and also ride in the So. West, and West.
At the rides I attend, LD riders get a completion award., maybe BC and
maybe first place. BC will be judged however the ride manger chooses. To
my knowledge there are no regional organizations for these regions but
there are local clubs. The attitude toward LD riders vary greatly across
the country. I hope someday, we will learn to except our differences and
respect each others goals.
Sue Grahl
LD committee member