Re: RC: Re: Finish Lines

ti writes:
>If they can't be barred, then it might be useful to have someone assigned
>warn drivers of vehicles that they're about to kill somebody. That would be
>prudent, wouldn't it?
>
>ti
Unfortunately ti, this just isn't practical. I managed a ride on state land
that was divided by a public, paved road. The trail went through at least 8
pull off places & clearing where people could camp. It was open to riders,
bikers, hikers, etc. There is no way I can station someone at each of these
places throughout the course of the ride. I post signs, but they're often
torn down.
Last year while marking trail I found 2 bikers setting up they're tent right
beside the trail head. I politely let them know what was going on & they
moved. Had they arrived an hour later, I wouldn't have known they were
there. Likewise it would be common for a pleasure rider to pull in to one of
these places & park their trailer & tied horses near the trail.
If I would complain to the conservation department they would simply deny my
permit for the ride, as we would be the ones not conforming with the
majority of users.
By publicizing our events we have avoided major conflicts like not having an
endurance ride & mountain bike race on the same day.
I make it clear at the ride meeting that other trail users have as much
right to be there as the endurance ride. No one is to go galloping through
groups of pleasure riders, or the camping areas. We can either live with the
restrictions on pure all out speed, all the way, or not have any rides in
Southwest Missouri.
I hate to see the day when endurance is confined to privately  owned
endurance "racetracks", because in this country they would be few & far
between.
Nancy Mitts