Posse Ride/AERC

	Well, I kind of feel like I am sticking my nose out a bit -- and perhaps
somewhere it doesn't belong.   And it is with a certain amount of
trepidation that I do as the last time I posted to Ride Camp, I received
several rude replies from people who seemed to think it was OK because they
did it privately.
	After I read the ride manager's post to Ride Camp, I went back and read
the AERC statement in the Endurance News .  It sounded to me as if the AERC
was taking  responsibility and was addressing  all ride managers.   Had
they left out the part of the statement "this ride manager"  that intent
would certainy have been clear.  Maybe I was wrong, but Randy Eiland's post
of today seems to reinforce that notion.
	I guess my concern is that I really enjoy endurance riding and feel that
as a group endurance riders, ride managers and all associated staff are
dedicated to safety and the protection of horses and riders.   When I hear
(uniformed)  people attack endurance riding as cruelty to animals, I feel
very confident in defending the sport as safe and humane, citing the care
and attention given to the many details that go into putting on and
participating in a successful event.  I recently returned to the sport
after 20+ years.  During that time, the body of knowledge surrounding this
sport and quality of rides have certainly grownl.  Everyone associated with
the sport is much more educated.  I would certainly  attribute this growth
and development to the leadership role played by AERC and its members.
	I am hoping that I am correct that the spirit of the AERC Board's
resolution was in keeping with this concept and that no finger was being
pointed at the Possee ride manager or ride managers in general.  I feel
like belonging to AERC is the same thing as belonging to any professional
association (not really any differnt from such organizations as the
National Music Teacher's Association) and as such expect AERC to have a
strong agenda for  excellence in all members and sanctioned events.
	If we start looking at our "professional organization" as the bad guy,
will the wonderful growth and expansion in our sport continue?